Am I ready?
To find out if you are ready to take a road test, or driver test as some call it, please read and study the booklet, “Road Skills Test Study Guide”, which you can obtain online or from your local Secretary of State’s office. Please pay close attention to requirements section.
Road test is $52 ($50 Cash), Rental is $16 ($15 Cash), Total of test and rental is $67 ($65 Cash)
If you feel you are ready to schedule a driver road test, click here.
Each Teenage Applicant (Under 18) should have the following out and ready before they arrive for their driver road test:
1. White level 1 license which has been held for at least 6 months.
2. The Segment 2 White Certificate of Completion
3. Current proof of insurance and registration on the vehicle that is being used.
4. Written or digital proof of 50 hours of driving with your level 1 license.
5. One parent or legal guardian to go along with you on the driver road test.
6. A car in good working order.
7. $50 CASH, exact change if possible.
8. The Driver Test Applicant form (either printed from online and completed, sent to you in the mail, or filled out online).
*A teenager cannot take a road test with the person who has taught them in Segment 1, Segment 2, or “Behind the Wheel”.
Each Adult Applicant (Over 18) should have the following out and ready:
1. A TIP (Temporary Instruction Permit) for 30 days but not more than 6 months.
2. Current proof of insurance and registration on the vehicle that is being used.
3. $50 CASH, exact change if possible.
4. The Road Test Applicant form (either printed off from online, sent to you in the mail, or filled out online).
*An adult cannot take a road test with the person who has taught them in the classroom or “Behind the Wheel”.
*Make sure the vehicle is working properly. The horn, turn signals, speedometer and brake lights need to be working and be sure that the third brake light works, which is located either above the back seat, trunk area or tail fin. If any of these things are not working properly, then you may not be able to take the road test.
*A rental car may be available for use for an extra $16($15 Cash).
In case of a “no show” or more than 5 minutes late, then there may be up to a $20 service or late fee. If the car or equipment is defective, the documents are incomplete or incorrect, or proof of insurance cannot be verified, there will be a up to a $20 service charge.
*If you are not going to make your scheduled time, please call (810) 743-8217. Or on the day of the test, call the examiner. This information would have been given to you when you scheduled.
After the Test Begins
We certainly hope everyone passes the parking lot test, but if for some odd reason you don’t, there is a partial refund. Once the “on the road” portion of the test begins, there will be no refund of any kind. After failing either part of the test, it will cost $52($50 Cash) to retake.
On the day of the test, please remember to bring the following for your driver road test:
- Current proof of insurance and registration on the vehicle.
- $50/$65 cash, exact change please. It really helps. Government agency checks are pre-approved.
- Level 1 license, the White card (Certificate of Completion) from Segment 2, and 6 hours of Defensive Driving Class – Minor Teens ONLY.
- Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP) – Adults ONLY.
- The Road Test Applicant form (either printed off from online, sent to you in the mail, or filled out online).
*The entire test will take about an hour.
Once the test is scheduled, if the appointment is cancelled or rescheduled there will be a $20 rescheduling charge. If you are not going to make your scheduled time, please call (810) 743-8217. If no one answers, or it is the day of your test, then call the examiner. This information would have been given to you when you scheduled.